It is rare to see a company with a management team in alignment with regard to vision, mission, values and strategic positioning.
I daresay most senior managers don’t understand the meaning of the words, let alone their importance to the company.
Following are 10 reasons why the management team needs to know what these words mean, as well as what they are for their company:
- Misalignment leads to miscommunication — internally and externally.
- Lack of a vision results management and staff not working towards the same end state since no one knows what they are working towards.
- No values, or unclear values, results in lack of understanding, or ground rules, about how to treat each other and customers.
- An unclear, or no, mission means no one understands or agrees on the purpose of the company beyond profit or market position.
- Lack of a strategic positoning leads to no clear story about what makes your company “different and better.”
- Employees who are receiving conflicting messages from management are confused, unempowered and disengaged.
- Inconsistent messages and stories lead to confusion among prospects and customers. Confusion leads to loss, or lack of, trust. Loss of trust = loss of customers.
- Misalignment results in tremendous inefficiencies as employees and departments fail to work together as a cohesive unit or team.
- Silos will develop as each department head creates his or her own messaging in an attempt to fill the void.
- The conflicting messages that are created to fill the void will lead to greater confusion, inefficiency, miscommunication with customers and dissention between departments.
Have an independent third-party have an in-depth interview with each member of your management team to get their understanding of the vision, mission, values and strategic positioning of the firm.
Understanding how they are communicating these to their department heads and how the department heads are communicating to the rest of the staff.
The insights you get from this research will be invaluable and rewarding.
If you find that everything’s in alignment, congratulations, well done, keep up the good work.
If you find discrepancies, clarify and rectify them and get everyone on the same page.
If you need any help, give me a call.
Getting your management team aligned will help your company be more productive, your employees will be more empowered and engaged and your customers will be getting a consistent message about what your company stands for and believes in.
Experienced marketing professional who has worked with more than 120 clients in 18 different vertical industries. ♦ Differentiate products and services by improving UX and delivering memorable CX to create an emotional connection to the brand. ♦ Obtain insights from analytics to solve business problems and drive revenue. ♦ Develop and implement marketing campaigns that double traffic and leads in three months. ♦ Certified Marketing Automation Professional ♦ Certified Voice of the Customer (VOC) Professional